The
President is the Commander in Chief of the armed forces. He or she has the
power to call into service the state units of the National Guard, and in times
of emergency may be given the power by Congress to manage national security or
the economy. He has the power to make treaties with Senate approval. He can
also receive ambassadors and work with leaders of other nations. He is
responsible for nominating the heads of governmental departments, which the
Senate must then approve. In addition, the president nominates judges to
federal courts and justices to the United States Supreme Court.
The
President can also issue executive orders (which this post will be
focusing on), that have the effect of law but do not have to be
approved by congress. He can issue pardons for federal offenses, convene
Congress for special sessions and veto legislation approved by Congress.
However, the veto can be overridden by a two-thirds vote by Congress
For
the most part, that about summarizes the President's executive power. Now as to
why I am addressing all this, President Barack Obama will be announcing as
early as next week executive actions to overhaul the U.S. immigration system. He
said he had decided to take these measures after an immigration revamp passed
by the Senate died this year in the Republican-controlled House. His plans to
act alone have infuriated newly empowered Republicans who believe they have earned
a chance at the polls to write their own immigration laws.
Although,
the President’s timing may be questionable, he does have complete rights to
this executive order, even if it is just for votes in the next election.
“My
executive actions not only do not prevent them from passing a law that
supersedes those actions,” he said at a news conference on Nov. 5, “but they
should be a spur for them to actually try to get something done.”
And
with that statement, I believe he made great point, his actions don’t ensure
that what he WANTS is going to happen, but that at least something will happen!
Good research, good summary of Executive Action and well done at tieing it in to the immigration Executive Order coming up. Exactly what I asked for, good job following instructions.
ReplyDeleteGood huge buildup but with a questionable ending point. You ended by saying that the president does have rights to issue executive orders. I don't find that to be a very insightful answer alone heheh. I'm reading it over and over and I don't really understand the conclusions sudden closing, but I guess rights are rights and that's all there is to it is what you were trying to say.
ReplyDelete