Friday, October 31, 2014

Less Children & a Better World?

For myself, having children has always seemed like a given, I LOVE babies and cannot wait until the day I hold my very own baby in my arms; and then have the privilege to watch and help that baby, a part of myself grow. I understand that when I decide to have children that will be the end to a stage of my life. From then on, with every decision I make, I would have to take into consideration the fact that I have another living being to take care of. Does that mean having children is willingly giving up my freedom? In all honestly, it kind of is! No longer can you do whatever whenever you want, that baby is constantly relying on you for EVERYTHING.

When I read articles by women about why they are choosing to not have children, I am not shocked. Although when I hear that some people are choosing not to have children because they are worried about the environment? That's a little more surprising. Could not having children actually save our environment? I doubt it. Think about it, children take after their parent's mindsets, if all of the environment concerned people stop having children, they are eventually going to die off and then who is going to worry about the environment and make sure everything is "earth friendly"? Obviously this reasoning isn't exactly solid but I think it makes my point. The entire "save the earth and sterilize your body" philosophy is borderline dumb, for lack of a better word.

On the other hand there are a good amount of women who don't want to have kids simply because they don't want to. They would rather further their careers, travel abroad or just live less complicated lives. Which I believe is perfectly fine, if you don't want to have children then that is entirely your choice but I would recommend considering how that may hurt you in the future. Who is going to take care of you when you are old and helpless? I can almost guarantee it won't be that friend you travelled the world with, they will be too busy having the exact same problem! Darn...

It kind of makes you think that humans were created with the ability to reproduce for a reason? As if some supreme being planned this whole life thing out perfectly. What a coincidence!

2 comments:

  1. I guess people in general like to over-think situations like saving the environment in this case. But really. How is not having children going to help? We're far too deep in the mud to do anything about that now. Just talking to myself here. But to your last paragraph, not having children is like going against God's command when he said to be fruitful and multiply. I like how you addressed that we must have been created with the ability to reproduce for a reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really good, I see you are making a serious effort. Your last two blogs have been excellent. But my biggest question, if you can answer it, is are you learning anything in my class or do I got to draw a tree. Haha jk

    ReplyDelete