Friday, August 22, 2014

Abortion, a moral issue?


                I have been raised in a family where even the idea of holding a boys hand is not ok, calling someone my boyfriend is not even an option, but the biggest line of all was drawn at having sex outside of a marriage. I am a seventeen year old, growing up in a society where all of this is acceptable, maybe even encouraged, but I’m living in an Egyptian Coptic Orthodox household where these norms are seemingly unthinkable.

My father and mother have blatantly told me that if I were to ever get pregnant outside of marriage, they would disown me; and never for a second do I doubt these threats. So when I am asked in my private Christian school if I would ever consider having an abortion, I shrink down and promise to myself that I will never have to make that decision, because knowing my parents beliefs, I am shamefully aware that my answer may not be morally right.

                Abortion is a growing political dispute especially in our country. Nearly 50% of pregnancies are unwanted and tragically almost half of those are “terminated” --The word that the world decides to use instead of “kill” because if that word was used, it would clear that what they are really doing is murdering. So in essence, 42 MILLION women choose to terminate their pregnancy. Let me put that in perspective for you. In the Holocaust, approximately 11 million people were killed and Stalin killed around 20 million. How absurd and alarming is it that the two largest mass murders in world history still don’t add up to the amount of lives ended by abortion. And now we have people in society saying that abortion is not even a “moral issue.” Excuse me, but how is murdering 42 innocent lives not a moral issue? If our society is going to accept that idealism then we might as well go ahead and accept that what Hitler and Stalin did wasn’t a moral issue either. They were making life how they believed it ought to be, even if that meant taking out millions of innocent lives to do so.  

                By this point, you may very well think I’m crazy, for comparing abortion to the Holocaust, but numbers don’t lie. Yes, a woman who decides to have an abortion only takes one life, while Hitler took millions, but it is the principle of not valuing a human life. I know there are many other opinions on the technicalities, but in the opinion of myself and my father who is a doctor, once a sperm penetrates an egg you have created human life. Human life, is a gift from God, if the creator of all things didn’t want you having this baby then do you think it would be happening right now?

                I am a firm believer in God, I am a firm believer in the fact that everything in life, including pregnancies, will occur just as He planned for them. And most importantly, I am a firm believer in the Ten Commandments which clearly states that killing is a sin, punishable by death. Yes, my dad may be one of the scariest human beings alive when he is angry, but nothing is scarier to me than an eternity in hell. So for that very reason, if I were ever to be asked if I was willing to kill my own unborn baby, NO MATTER the circumstances, I would be able to confidently and powerfully say NO.   

19 comments:

  1. If someone were to say,"A fetus is not a life.", what evidence would you use to counter their arguments? Saying that it's what you believe is not sufficient enough, as the other person could say the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the egg and sperm unite and a zygote is formed. This is when the cells start dividing and thus starts creating the baby. What I have stated here is fact. My opinion is that the union of sperm and egg is the beginning of life.
      Does that answer your question Noah?

      Delete
    2. Not exactly, because you're still saying that that is what you believe, not "This is when life begins, period." If you took out the part of "My opinion is that", then it would be asserting what you say as truth.

      Delete
  2. How would your future be different if you had a child now? Your education, career, family etc. This is good but the fear of hell or family wrath has not historically been a deterrent to young pregnancies. How is your conviction different?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Bicknell,
      My closest prediction of my future if I were to get pregnant now, is this:
      My parents would disown me and cut me off completely. I would then get a job to support myself and, if I am lucky, find a friend to stay with until I could pay rent an apartment of my own. I would no longer be able to attend private school, but I would finish high school in a public one. After graduation I would double up on shifts and save as much money as possible to support my baby and I. I would most likely not be able to go to college until the baby was old enough to go to school.
      As for the father, statistics state, "Eight out of ten fathers in cases of teen pregnancy don't marry the mother of their child, and these absent fathers pay less than $800 annually for child support." Consequently, I would expect the father of my child to be no different, so I would accept life at a single mother. From then on, chances of me finding a husband in the Orthodox Church would be close to done and even just the possibility of finding a husband who would love my baby and I would be extremely difficult. No one wants a women with baggage.
      My convictions really aren't any different on this topic. I have always believed abortion is wrong, now I just know that I would be brave enough to face consequences of that conviction, instead of shying away from them like a child. I believe I have more faith than that.
      Thank you for the feedback, does this answer your question?

      Delete
  3. what do you mean knowing your parents beliefs you're shamefully aware your answer may not be morally right? do you not agree with them, do you see things differently in any way compared to how they see things?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, prior to researching this topic, had I gotten pregnant as a teenager, out of marriage I probably would have terminated the pregnancy out of fear of my parents.
      Do I see things differently than them? Completely, my dad would encourage the abortion and that I continue on with my life so my future isn't affected. My mother on the other hand would encourage adoption, and then I continue on. But I couldn't do either of those options without hating my self for it. I know their is nothing morally wrong with adoption, but I couldn't desperate my self from my own flesh and blood, not knowing what his or her life would be like without me.
      Thank you for the comment! Does this answer your question?

      Delete
  4. I really like your strong opinions and how they came about because of your family history. I loved the third paragraph a lot! Very interesting statistics that point to a twisted reality. The blog could have used a proofread for errors though X)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ethan,
      Thank you so much for your feedback! I am glad you enjoyed the post. You are definitely right, it needed some proofing before posting! I'll keep that in mind for my next posts.
      Thank you,
      Adreanna

      Delete
  5. I love reading this honest perspective on abortion. Familial pressure (whether its right or wrong) is something that is so easy to succumb to. I think a lot of the time people think and say what their cultural and society say is "right". The fact that you formed your own opinion and are brave enough to back it up is really honorable, especially coming from a conservative Middle Eastern background like your own. Go Adre!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, thank you Hannah! I'm glad you enjoyed reading it. More very honest opinions to come! ;)
    Much love,
    Adre

    ReplyDelete
  7. I felt like the title was misleading. While i agreed with what you said and thought you had great points. I felt like u didn't really talk about the morality of abortion besides your own beliefs. Besides that though I really enjoyed reading your paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I kind of wish I titled it something else. Thanks for the feedback Matt :)

      Delete
  8. Very brave and courageous answer Adreanna, Thank you. You would be my hero for stepping up and sacrificing for your baby instead of sacrificing your baby for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mr. Bicknell, that means a lot coming from you.

      Delete
  9. I really like how you put the holocast and Stalin into perspective with the number of babies aborted, really makes you think about it all, also like how you are responding to all the comments

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, thanks Tay. I thought it was a really interesting angle to look at abortion from.
      -A

      Delete
  10. I liked that you were honest with your opinion, and i liked how you sounded passionate about the subject whether you are or not, it sounded good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good Job!! I liked how you added your family values and your religious background. Could have been longer, but it was a good blog.

    ReplyDelete